Tuesday, December 18, 2007





Hello again. I hope that you all are surviving the hectic holiday season. I hope that you notice that there are some changes to this blog. One of which is to direct you to my ebay Store to find all the supplies and tools that I use to do the jobs that I describe here. Keep in mind that this is a building process and trying to learn some of this internet stuff “hurts my head” but all things good come in time, kinda like doing furniture upholstery work. Well to this point I have cleaned up the mess that I showed you last post. There were some structural issues that I had to address before I could start to rebuild the deck. So after gluing and clamping the lose frame pieces together I can proceed now. I like to use “Gorilla Glue” to glue up lose frames. I think it is superior to your regular wood glues. I cleaned up all the old tacks and staples that were left in the frame and stretched new webbing on the bottom of the frame rails. You might refer to previous posts showing how I attach seat webbing to a chair. The “copper” coil springs were in excellent condition so I reused them, I attached the springs to the webbing with my “Clinch-It Tool”. This particular spring system had an “edge wire” that was broke on the one side. I wanted to retain this edge wire so I used an edge wire feral, slipped the two broken pieces inside and crimped it together with my dykes, now it is good as new and ready to attach the perimeter springs to the edge wire. I like to use a 3 prong “Baker” clips to attach the springs to the edge wire. These types of clips keep the spring from overriding onto the edge wire. You don’t want metal to metal contact in your spring unit; it can cause a “clicking” sound when a person sits on the chair. I attach the corner springs in the appropriate area of the edge wire. I center the front and sides springs and attach them to the edge wire. Now I have a “clean” unit to start to tie up. I am going to have to approach tying this unit together in a different manner that I have illustrated in earlier posts. Next post will show an “8 way had tie”. Until then “Happy Trails”.

No comments: