Monday, November 12, 2007




I add two other layers making sure to “feather the edges” as I discussed with you in earlier posts. When I have the padding where I want it I cut an appropriate size piece of fabric. Allow yourself plenty. I start at the bottom of the seat back frame rail. On this antique there is a slightly recessed, unfinished edge of the frame. You want to make sure that your staples don’t go outside of this area and into the “finished” portion of the frame. It is very difficult to pull staple out of the finished wood without causing some type of distress. Having to repair it is not impossible but very difficult. If you have to hire the repairs out it can be an expensive mistake. So be aware of where you staple gun is before you pull the trigger. Even if you are pulling a staple out that is in the correct area you must be very aware and not “slip” and gouge the finished wood. Doing this may lead to cursing. I get the inside back cushion fabric ‘tacked” in. I see where I need to make a couple of adjustments but I then move on to the back of the chair.

No comments: