Wednesday, November 14, 2007




I hope that all of you have been well. I have gone ahead and made any adjustments that needed to be done and trimmed the fabric so we can start to apply the “gimp”. Everything is looking sip shape on the chair. Scroll Gimp has been a method off trimming off raw edges for a long long long time. Here let me add another long time to that. Two other methods that could be options would be “double welt and decorative tacks”. We will get into those options in future posts. Most gimp is ½ inch wide so you need to be careful of where you put your staples and how you trim the fabric. You want the staple to get enough of a bite on the fabric to it is stable but not in an area where they will show after the gimp is applied. I trim the fabric, with my handy dandy pocket knife, along the edge of the “Lip” where the finished wood meets with the tack rail. You want to be extra careful doing this as not to mar the finished wood or harm the fabric in an area that will show. That is why I like to use my pocket knife because I feel that I have more control of my cuts compared to using a razor blade. Scroll Gimp comes in many attractive colors. I like to pick something that will complement the fabric and the chair. I don’t like to have too much of a contrast, unless my customer requests it. Conso Co. is one of the major suppliers of gimp and other trims to the industry. Gimp comes packaged in 36 yd “skeins” costing wholesale around $30 or so depending on who you buy from. Some suppliers will sell you “cuts” of gimp. Next up, Appling the “gimp”.

No comments: