Thursday, November 15, 2007

Before I move on to applying the gimp I would like to share with you a little of my history of how I got into the upholstery trade. My bio states that I am a second generation upholster. My Father was an upholster as far back as I can remember. I also had an Uncle who was in the business. Both of these Master Craftsmen have “moved on”. So I was around this business since I was a kid. But I didn’t follow in my fathers footsteps until later in my life. I actually took a job while I was in high school, in the local grocery store as an apprentice meat cutter. Upon graduating from good ol’ Coquille High School I was a full fledged journeyman meat cutter. I pursued that career, managing meat departments in the Portland Oregon area. My parents had since left Coquille and moved to Redmond. Coming over here to visit the folk and having a desire to change careers my first wife (yes I have had two) and I moved to Redmond. So at the age of 30 I went to work for my Dad. I really must have wanted to learn the trade. But I dove right into it, paying attention, listening to the ol man and his other employee, Bud Osborne. Glenn, my dad, had a full service shop offering not only furniture but also auto, boat, and commercial. There was also a lot of learning on my own. It was a great training ground that few get access to when they want to enter this field. Self motivation, a creative bent and a real strong desire will take you along ways if you want to get into this trade. Some other time I will share with you my next step in my upholstery career. Going out on my own and starting my own shop. Until then “Happy Trails”

No comments: