Monday, December 10, 2007





Geez what a mess this chair is. I could tell just by looking at it that there were some “issues” with this chair but the more I take it apart the more the worse it gets. I was pretty much right on when in my last post I claimed by the look of the fabric it was reupholstered in the late ‘60’s early ‘70’s. On the bottom of the chair was a declaration tag certifying that the materials that were used in the chair were the original materials. This was a requirement at least by the State of California. I can remember my Dad, who always had shops in Oregon, had to fumigate furniture before he reupholstered it. It had everything to do with the type of padding that was used when this age of furniture was built. Bugs could infest early padding such as grasses, horse hair, mosses, pig hair and cottons. With today’s modern padding that process is no longer used. Not to mention the environmental issues that fumigation probably presented. As you can see from my pics the interior of the seat of the chair can only be described as “gross”. All of that “stuff “has to go. The other information on the tag is who reupholstered the chair “Henry” and the date 6-70. See told ya that it was reupholstered in the 60’s or early 70’s.
I am also pretty confident that it was built in the early 40’s probably war era. To comply with the war effort furniture makers and reupholsters were trying to find alternatives to cotton and horse hair. Those items were being rationed at that time. So you find some furniture that had “straw” padding, like this chair has. All of this old dusty crap is going away. Look at all this “stuff”. As I am taking the webbing and the springs out I see that there is some frame issues that I will have to address before I start to put it back together. Well that’s all for now. I need to go have a beer to wash all this dust out of my throat. Until next time Happy Trails.

No comments: