Wednesday, December 5, 2007





Hello, it has been a while since I have been able to do a new posting on my blog. I have gone through a couple of mundane type of jobs, the kind you just do cause you need to make some quick money. So now I am able to get to this cool antique waiting area settee. I remind you that this piece comes from the Redmond Memorial Chapel and will be placed in the “family” area of the facility. The original padding was a pin core latex foam rubber. As you can see it has hardened to the point that it is absolutely worthless. So I have replaced it with a high quality poly foam. I am not going to get into the various densities and qualities but I have found that if you want a premier finished product that will last for years get the good stuff. Your foam supplier can supply you with qualities and costs. In the case of this job I paid about $140.00 and that would be wholesale mind you. This stuff is very expensive and can have a real impact on how much money that you can make or lose on a job. After getting rid of the distressed latex foam and having swept the floor, I glued the foam to the back board. I am using a soft foam for the back cushion. I use cans of fabric/foam glue. There are other gluing systems out there but over the years I have found that the spray cans do a more than adequate job. I buy it by the case and for a one man shop they last quite awhile. After gluing the foam to the board I cover the foam on all sides with a Dacron poly fiber. This gives the cushion a “fuller” look and feel compared to a flat piece of poly foam. There are different widths, grades and qualities of Dacron wrap on the market. I tend to not to skimp on the quality of supplies that I use on a job. I glue the top, ends and sides of the foam with the Dacron. I then “cut” off remove the excess at the corners. My Client, Kathy, at Redmond Memorial Chapel did a great job of picking out a fabric that looks very appealing, warm and inviting. This autumnal colored, geometric leaf pattern will go perfectly with the setting. This fabric is from “Barrow Industries” one of the many wholesale fabric distributors that I have worked with over the years.

No comments: