Saturday, December 8, 2007





I have decided to “change” the look of the settee by giving the cushions a “boxed” look, instead of the “waterfall” look. This particular cushion was attached to a piece of plywood. One thing that you have to keep in mind when making any type of cushion this long is that the fabric will stretch and when someone sits on it the cushion will start to wrinkle. You have to allow for that when you go to cut your patterns. Each fabric is different and learning how to adjust for that takes practice and experience. The back board was 22 x 64; I cut the ‘face’ of the cushion 23 x 64 ½ inches. The length measurement allowed for the stretch the fabric had. I use a “square” a “72 inch ruler” and dust less chalk held in a chalk chuck. I always square off the fabric before I start to lay out my patterns. I then mark off my cushion faces, the boxing which in this case was 7 inches wide and the appreciate lengths of “welt”. I always use my 72 inch ruler for my lengths of welt; it is just the right width. . I double check all my measurements and proceed to cut out my patterns. Once I have my patterns cut out I go to my sewing machine. The fabric and the change of look are really going to give this classic a whole new look and feel.

No comments: