Saturday, December 8, 2007



Now that I have the covers sewn up it is time to apply. If you recall this cushion is attached to a piece of plywood. I will want to make sure that my boxing is even and the welt cord is straight. On the seat cushion I accomplish this by marking a line on the under side of the plywood that will be an appropriate distance for the boxing. I begin by stapling the corners and then put a couple of staples in the center, front and rear and on the sides. I work from the center to each end, lining up the edge of my fabric to the mark that I made. I am always checking along the way to make sure that the cover is straight and there are no wrinkles or puckers. I also make sure that my welt is all going the same direction. I will reach up inside the cover and make sure that the underside of the welt is going down so you will end up with your welt all going the same way and won’t be crooked. I also make sure that the corners are filled and add a little cotton if needed. The back cushion presents a little different application. The back of the board is exposed so I have to staple to the edge of the plywood. The face of the back cushion is also attached to the edge of the plywood. So I draw my corners down to the appropriate level. In this case the boxing on the back I want to be about 5 inches to the top of the welt all the way around the cushion. Once I get my corners attached I put a couple of staples in the middle, measuring to make sure they are the same as the corners. I then start working from the middle to each corner eyeballing and measuring to make sure that everything is even and straight. Once I am satisfied with the look of the cushion I place it in the frame. This particular piece basically slips into the frame. The back cushion has a few screws that go in from the back side. The seat cushion slides in behind the top rail. I call Kathy at Redmond Memorial Chapel and make arrangements for delivery. My oldest son, Bob, helps me to make the delivery. Kathy is thrilled with her selection of fabric and how with a couple of restyling techniques transformed this wonderful piece of history. Redmond Memorial Chapel is a repeat customer. The last pieces I upholstered for them was about twenty years ago. The two wing backs are still in the chapel and look as though I delivered them yesterday. Nothing like job security huh? Next on the sawhorses is a bedroom chair probably from the 40’s. Until then Happy Trails.

No comments: