Saturday, December 8, 2007




I have an old Pfaff 545 that I have had for over twenty years. There are other brands out there and there are still some of these old machines out there that are still working and are fairly reasonably priced. What ever type of machine that you prefer learning to sew and to make the end product look professional takes practice, practice, practice. I am still practicing after all these years. I don’t know if you can tell by the pictures but I use a “zipper” foot that I have ground off the outside edge which allows me to get real close to the welt. This makes it so when I am finished sewing the welt and boxing on that when finished it will be even and you will not see any exposed stitching. That means any exposed stitching even around the corners. I like to start and end my welt in a discreet area. I also try to make my welt a continuous length so as to not have too many splices in it. Now this particular machine has a ‘walking foot” which means that the machine is pushing the fabric through as you sew it. The machine won’t do all the work for you so I have to be conscious of how the fabric is laying as I sew it. Here again practice practice and more practice. I am using my left hand to guide the fabric through and my right hand to fold the welt over and guide the fabric into the machine. Yes your fingers are close to the needle but unless you put your finger underneath that needle it isn’t going to jump over and get you. As I approach a corner with my welt I “snip” the welt about ¼ inch before the corner, hold the welt down with my finger and go around the corner. This will make a nice square corner with no bulk or puckers from the fabric. I continue to sew the welt and the boxing to the face piece. Now that I have both the seat and back cushion cover all sewn up it is time to start to apply the covers to the cushions. I don’t know if you noticed that I have said that it takes practice practice and more practice when you are behind the machine. As I have you will learn techniques that you become comfortable with. The bottom line is the finished product and how professional it looks.

No comments: