Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How to Reupholster a Recliner





I simply measure the footrest and allow myself enough fabric to go around the corners. In this case I needed a piece of fabric 13 x 37 inches. I lay the fabric face down and lay the footrest upside down on top of the fabric. I bring the fabric around one end and place a couple of staples. Repeat on the other end. Don’t go crazy with the staples at this point because you may have to remove them to make any adjustments. I bring the fabric around the one side and attach here again with just a couple of staples, repeat on the other side. I then start to work the edge to the ends of the footrest. I try to go in as straight of a line as I can. You may want to strike a pencil line to make it easier. You want to have your fabric smooth and taut. Keeping your fabric in a straight line will prevent lumps from pulling the fabric down to far. I work the fabric to the first outside corner. I need to go around the corner with the fabric. In order to do this I will need to fold the fabric in a couple of places. The final fold will be outside corner as I have illustrated. Repeat this on the other corners. I then cover the raw edges and the exposed board with a black dust cover fabric. The child safety bar is a simple operation. Cut a piece of fabric to size and attach to the board folding your corners. Also attach a piece of black dust cover fabric. Set these pieces aside.

No comments: